Welcome to my blog, mainly about sports. I will occasionally write about various other things that interest me.
Yeah! Let's have some fun shall we? Whoooo!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Bounty System- By Ryan J. Murphy


Gregg Williams

Recently the NFL has found out that current Rams defensive coordinator has had an ongoing bounty system with his defensive players. A bounty system in football means that money is rewarded to defenders who take out the offensive players, either hitting them very hard, injuring them, or hurting them so badly they have to be carted off on a stretcher. There is no place for that in the NFL, or even in life. No one should purposely injure someone.

Williams had this system going while he was Head Coach in Buffalo, DC in Washington, and DC in New Orleans, which was most recent, last year. He just attended a meeting today and the NFL is going to discipline him and those involved, including Saints head coach Sean Payton. This might get worse than the Patriots “spygate scandal.”

Ironically, Peyton Manning, who recently underwent neck surgery, was originally hurt in a game in 2006 while playing the Washington Redskins. Who was the defensive coordinator for the Redskins? Of course, Gregg Williams. Kurt Warner, the former QB of the Arizona Cardinals, had his career ended by a concussion due to a hit from a N.O. Saints player. The defensive coordinator was Gregg Williams.

James Harrison, Steelers linebacker who has been fined for big hits, said the other day on his twitter account that if it was him that was involved in these hits, he’d be thrown out of the NFL, and he makes a valid point. I’m not just saying that because I’m a die-hard Steelers fan either, he is right. Personally I think Williams should be thrown out of football. One could argue that this goes on much more in football, which I think so as well, but not to this extent in which someone’s career is in jeopardy.

I put a poll on the right hand side of the blog, asking you what you think the NFL commissioner Roger Goodell should do about this situation.

11 comments:

  1. Ryan-Roger Goodell should impose a serve fine and even a loss for a couple of years on draft picks.
    I agree Williams should be thrown out of football permanently. This would send a message to all in football, players and management. I also believe that the players involved in this bounty pool, if proven, they should also pay a serve fine along with the time fine.

    DOC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is what Goodell will do. Force the saints to pay and forfeit draft picks. I was mainly more focused on Williams in this column, but I do believe he should AT LEAST be out for a season if not thrown out of football and forced to pay a fine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am out here, Ryan. I don't comment but I do enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan-How do you feel about fines on the players who where involved in the pool. I think they should have some sort of penalty-after all they were trying to hurt another player. As for Williams, OUT OF FOOTBALL,FOREVER!! Football does not need that "coaching"; after all he should have been way above that.
    Have a great sport weekend!!

    DOC

    ReplyDelete
  5. The players that were involved are going to be hard to identify specifically, but if they can be identified, then they should face that same thing James Harrison faced for his hits. Fines and possible suspensions. Some players have been named, but the ones who haven't may never be named. Who knows? But for sure they should be disciplined. I do believe this goes on in other organizations, so I personally think WIlliams should be suspended 8games- a full season. He should be given the opportunity to prove he won't do this anymore and the NFL should investigate that he isn't doing this routinely. You have a good weekend as well, hopefully we'll see where Peyton will land!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan, in case you missed it, Mr Cristo has a nice comment about your Peyton Manning post on his blog. It appears under "Leaders".

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has nothing to do with sports, but Ryan sounds like a very polite young man. Stay that way, and you will go far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this kid is pretty good. I don't usually comment, but I do read the posts. I have to say, they are pretty interesting. It's like reading the paper. I read but don't write to the paper about it. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr Cristo has a new comment under Leaders. Let's hear your reply.

    ReplyDelete