Welcome to my blog, mainly about sports. I will occasionally write about various other things that interest me.
Yeah! Let's have some fun shall we? Whoooo!

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Penn State Disaster- By Ryan J. Murphy




This is a really hard topic for me to discuss, but I will anyway. There has been talk all over ESPN and the news about whether or not Penn State should receive the “death penalty.” I’m sure everyone has their own opinion on it, but here is mine.

What Jerry Sandusky did to those children is horribly, horribly, wrong. He is a monster. He should NOT have been given the death penalty, or life in prison. I do not wish this upon anyone, but that man should’ve been tortured to death with some medieval like device to suffer the pain he caused those children over the years.

Joe Paterno is a selfish man; I wouldn’t go as far as to say a monster, but what he did was absolutely horrible too. He allowed Sandusky to continue what he was doing to those children, all for himself. He was not concerned about the victims, football, or Penn State; he was concerned about Joe Paterno. He didn’t want bad publicity to his name. The statue of Joe Paterno should be immediately removed from the front of the football field and destroyed. The other day I tweeted that Joe Paterno “did nothing wrong.” Boy, did I screw up. A day later all this new information came out in the Freeh Report and I drastically changed my mind.

Now that that part is over with, here is my opinion on what should happen with Penn State. Yes, I know this was an incident surrounding the football program at Penn State, but everyone involved has already been punished in one way or another. It’s technically a new era in Penn State, and they should move forward, putting this horrible incident behind them. The NCAA should NOT give Penn State the “death penalty,” and here are the reasons why.


      1. They would be punishing the wrong people. If you cut the football program for two, three, even five years, you’re ruining the lives of the kids who came to Penn State to play football. Notice how I said ‘ruining the lives of the kids.’ That is what Sandusky did to those children for 14 years and possibly more, and these current college players should not have their lives, hopes, and dreams ruined because of this.
      2. The local businesses that thrive during home Penn State games would lose a ton of money. Think about it, the local hotels, restaurants, gift shops, and various other businesses near the stadium that get a majority of their business during college football season would be punished. Those businesses had nothing to do with this.
      3. As I said earlier, the high ups at Penn State are no longer there, and have already been punished. Do not punish people who do not need to be punished.
      

In the wake of all this, everyone got what they deserved and the NCAA should not step in. Maybe a fine, but that’s about it. It’s about individuals, as well as the past, and not the current football program.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, you are not only a smart kid, you are thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, dude, I agree with ya!!!

    ReplyDelete